Along the way Carol and Glenn are trying their best to buy locally grown fruits and veggies to give them the energy they need to keep on paddling!
In preparation for this adventure they were very conscious to buy local fruits and veggies in Kingston, ON to dehydrate!
Check out this delicious pasta dish made with locally grown veggies they found at a market!
Carol and Glenn have made it to Montreal!
Before they arrived they had to go through Carillon Canal Locks which is the deepest locks in Canada. The lock drops 65 ft and the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and awesome! This is the first of 3 locks over the next few days.
After they cleared the locks they used their sail for the first time in strong winds and waves which was a successful first attempt.
Keep on Paddling.
Family members Paul and Denise Vanden Engel were the first guest paddlers in their kayaks on Carol and Glenn’s adventure across Canada to support Loving Spoonful
Here is where you can donate to Loving Spoonful Donate.
Check out a few notes that granddaughter Esther made about the first 2 days on the adventure!
Keep on Paddling.
The Launch of Carol and Glenn’s across Canada canoe adventure was a success! The picture below shows Mara Shaw from Loving Spoonful in Kingston, ON and Granddaughter Esther. They will be paddling to raise funds for Loving Spoonful.
Check out the different areas on the website to find out more information about Loving Spoonful! Also, you can see where they are, what equipment they are using, recipes and how to donate to this awesome cause!
Keep on paddling.
The canoe is all ready to go!
Come be part of the send off at Petrie Island Beach, Ottawa on Saturday, August 12th at 10:30 am. This will mark the beginning of Part 1 across Canada.
You can find more information on the Loving Spoonful an amazing organizations we are supporting under the Donate section of this website.
Part 1 – August 12, 2017 Ottawa, Ontario to Sydney, Nova Scotia
We are launching on August 12th at 10:30 a.m. from Petrie Island Park in Orleans, Ottawa. You can watch our progress on the map below or through Facebook/Instagram, and Blog updates. We will be travelling from west to east with the wind hopefully at our backs most of the way! For the most part we will be following the routes of the early Voyageurs and Fur Traders. Although there may be some changes along the way, the following is our proposed route:
- Petrie Island Park, Ottawa, Ontario (via the Ottawa River to Montreal)
- Montreal, Quebec to Riviere du Loup, Quebec (via the St. Lawrence River)
- Riviere du Loup, Quebec to Edmunston, New Brunswick (via Hwy 291 and the Madawaska River)
- Edmunston, New Brunswick to Fredericton, New Brunswick (via the St. John River)
- Fredericton, New Brunswick to Shediack, New Brunswick (via the St. John River and Hwy 112)
- Shediac, New Brunswick to Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia (via Norththumberland Strait)
- Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia to Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia (via Bras d’Or Lake and the Atlantic Ocean).